SAVE THE DATE FOR 2020!
July 30-August 5, 2020
Program and information coming soon!
THE RABBINIC KALLAH AT WILDACRES
August 1-7, 2019
Hosted by the Greater Carolinas Association of Rabbis
LITTLE SWITZERLAND, NORTH CAROLINA
Professor Benjamin Sommer
Worship in Ancient Israel: Why Vayikra is the Most Kabbalistic and Christian Part of the Tana”kh?
• Crucial background #1: The essence of biblical monotheism
• Crucial background #2: טהרה וטמאה
• Are the sacrifices in Leviticus really sacrificial at all?
• The purposes of the קרבנות
• Kabbalah and the P source: קרבנות as Theurgy
• Christianity and P: It’s All About Immanence
• The Prophets and the קרבנות
Benjamin Sommer is Professor of Bible at the Jewish Theological Seminary. His books, Revelation and Authority: Sinai in Jewish Scripture and Tradition (Yale, 2015), The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel (Cambridge, 2009), and A Prophet Reads Scripture: Allusion in Isaiah 40–66 (Stanford, 1998), received multiple prizes in the United States and Israel. The Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz described Sommer as “a traditionalist and yet an iconoclast – he shatters idols and prejudices in order to nurture Jewish tradition and its applicability today.”